Class Action/Multi-District Litigation
Class actions and Multi-District Litigation matters are among the most complicated lawsuits filed. They have their own unique set of rules, procedures and rhythms – and clients should be wary of entrusting their cases to lawyers who cannot demonstrate a substantial breadth of experience in prosecuting and/or defending such lawsuits. The attorneys at Markovits, Stock & DeMarco have decades of successfully representing classes of business, pension funds and individuals in connection with bet-the-company class action/MDL lawsuits.
From securities fraud to antitrust to product defects to RICO, our class action/MDL team has the uncanny ability to position the case to our clients’ advantage.
- In Re Fannie Mae Securities Litigation, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, Consolidated Civil Action No. 04-cv-01639. The Ohio Attorney General appointed Markovits, Stock & DeMarco to serve as Lead Counsel for Lead Plaintiffs Ohio Public Employees Retirement System and State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio and the class in this securities fraud class action against Fannie Mae, three former senior officers of Fannie Mae, and KMPG (Fannie’s former auditor).
- Ohio Public Employees Retirement System v. Freddie Mac, et al., Case No. 4:08CV0160, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio. The Ohio Attorney General appointed Markovits, Stock & DeMarco to serve as Co-Lead Counsel for Lead Plaintiff Ohio Public Employees Retirement System in this securities class action. This case arises out of Defendants’ misrepresentations and reckless conduct during the class period concerning Freddie Mac’s subprime investments. Without public disclosure, Defendants are alleged to have repeatedly violated Freddie Mac’s own underwriting guidelines and had virtually no responsible credit management or fraud detection in loans, leading to billions of dollars of losses for the company and the appointment of a Conservator for Freddie Mac. Defendants’ motions to dismiss were denied and discovery is now being conducted.
- In Re Choice Care Litigation, United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Western Division. Bill Markovits of MSD served as one of the lead trial attorneys for a class of Ohio physicians in a securities fraud, antitrust and RICO class action litigation. Through Mr. Markovits’s efforts, a jury awarded his clients’ over $100 million.
- In re Mutual Funds Investment Litigation (Putnam Track), Case Nos. 1:04-cv-15863-JFM and 1:04-cv-00560-JFM, U.S. District Court, District of Maryland. After reassignment from Milberg Weiss in June 2006, while at WSBC, the lawyers at MSD represented the Ohio Tuition Trust Authority and the class in litigation against Putnam Investments, Prudential Securities, Inc. and Banc of America Securities regarding the “market timing” of Putman mutual fund transactions. The parties settled the case in 2010.
- In re Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court, Central District of California
- In re Oil Spill by the Oil Rig “Deepwater Horizon” in the Gulf of Mexico, on April 20, 2010, United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- In re Silicone Gel Breast Implant Litigation, United States District Court, Northern District of Alabama, MDL #926
- In re Diet Drugs (Fen/Phen) Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- In re Rezulin (Diabetes Drug) Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- In re Meridia (Diet Drug) Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- In re Copley Pharmaceuticals, Inc., “Albuterol” Products Liability Litigation, MDL #1013, United States District Court, District of Wyoming
- In re Zyprexa Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1596, United States District Court, Eastern District of New York