- Of Counsel
Joseph Deters began his career in public service in 1982 as an Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor, where he learned the impact that violent crime has on families and neighborhoods. As an assistant prosecutor, he dedicated his life to serving and helping Cincinnati’s communities.
After a notable tenure as a tough assistant prosecutor, he was elected to the position of Hamilton County Clerk of Courts in 1988. There, Joe developed his skills as a manager of a large office (350 employees) and gained the respect of other officeholders and the community.
In 1992, Joe returned to the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office when he was appointed, and later that year elected, as Prosecuting Attorney of Hamilton County.
Joe is now Hamilton County’s longest serving Prosecuting Attorney (1992-1999 and 2005-present). He is an experienced criminal and civil attorney who is recognized as one of the toughest and most innovative prosecutors in the nation. Joe manages an office of more than 170 employees (both Criminal and Civil divisions), which includes assistant prosecutors and support staff. His office prosecutes all felony offenses (approximately 10,000 cases per year) and juvenile criminal offenses committed in the county. The office also handles all misdemeanor crimes in the county (approximately 40,000 cases per year) excluding offenses committed in the City of Cincinnati.
Joe serves as Chief Legal Counsel for all county officials, county agencies, townships, and various boards. He and his assistant prosecutors appear in all Ohio state and federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court.
- Assistant Hamilton County Prosecutor, Public Service, 1982
- The Cincinnati Bar Association
- The Ohio State Bar Association
- The Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association
- The National District Attorneys Association
- University of Cincinnati College of Law, Cincinnati, Ohio
- The University of Cincinnati
- B.A. - 1979
- St. Joseph’s Cemetery, Board of Trustees
- University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees
- Southern Ohio Leukemia Foundation
- Ohio Organized Crime Commission