Markovits, Stock & DeMarco, LLC recently filed a federal class action lawsuit against EyeMed Vision Care, LLC for failure to properly safeguard its customers’ personal data. A copy of the class action complaint can be viewed here.
EyeMed is the second largest vision benefits company in the United States with over 60 million funded benefit members. The lawsuit alleges that from June 24, 2020 through July 1, 2020, as a result of EyeMed’s lax security and monitoring protocols, criminals accessed an EyeMed email account. This account was then used to send phishing emails to EyeMed’s customers. Furthermore, the lawsuit alleges that the account contained the sensitive personal data of EyeMed’s customers, including:
- current and former customer’s full names;
- Medical diagnoses;
- Medical treatment information;
- residential addresses;
- dates of birth;
- phone numbers;
- email addresses;
- vision insurance account identification numbers;
- health insurance account identification numbers;
- Medicaid and Medicare numbers;
- Social Security numbers;
- birth or marriage certificates; and
- driver’s license, passport, or other government identification numbers and information.
The lawsuit further alleges that despite learning of the breach on July 1, 2020, EyeMed did not begin notifying victims of the breach until December of 2020.
If you believe your personal data was exposed in a data breach and you would like to learn more about your potential legal rights and remedies, please contact Markovits, Stock & DeMarco at 513-651-3700, [email protected] or via the form below.